Once she's missed a period, everything can change - fast. What happens next may be her decision, but most women really care where their guy is coming from.
Here are a few steps to making the best choice for both of you - together.
- Make sure she's pregnant. Offer to go with her to the appointment.
- Learn about your options. She's carrying the baby, but suddenly you are both parents. What does that mean?
- Listen to her thoughts and feelings. What excites her? What does she fear?
- Share your thoughts and feelings. If you aren't sure how to start, say something like "when you told me your period was late, I felt ____, because ____. Now that I've had a little time to think about it, and hear what you are saying, I feel ____, because ____." Consider talking with others who are close to you too.
- Let her know how important she is to you. Don't pressure her about the pregnancy or check out. Instead, commit to exploring your options together and getting whatever help you need to make your relationship better than ever.
Process what pregnancy means for you and her. Contact us to talk with someone who understands.